Remote DoS attack against Microsoft SQL Server 7.0

From: Kevork Belian (kbelian@BUSINESS-SOFT.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 06:20:45 PST

    Hi,
    I'm not sure whether this has been already reported (though I couldn't find
    relevant information).
    MS SQL Server 7.0 silently crashes when sent a TCP packet containing more
    than 2 NULLs as data.

    I tested this on a machine running SQL Server version 7.00.699. The NT box
    is running NT Server with SP 4 (I don't think the Service Pack is an issue
    since NT is not affected).
    If the TCP/IP net library is enabled, the 3 or greater NULL bytes crach SQL
    Server listening on port 1433. The SQL server raises an event 17055 with
    fatal exception EXCEPTION_ACCESS VIOLATION.

    Can anyone reproduce this?

    It's interesting to mention that:
        - 1 or 2 NULL bytes don't affect the system.
        - A nornal service restart will reboot SQL Server

    rgrds
    Kevork Belian