Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogd

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 03:52:55 PST

    In some mail from Mixter, sie said:

    > The impact of the syslogd Denial Of Service vulnerability seems to
    > be bigger than expected. I found that syslog could not be stopped from
    > responding by one or a few connections, since it uses select() calls
    > to synchronously manage the connections to /dev/log. I made an attempt
    > with the attached test code, which makes about 2000 connects to syslog,
    > using multiple processes, and my system instantly died with the message:
    > 'Kernel panic: can't push onto full stack'

    Given that most other platforms use datagram sockets (of one type or another)
    for syslog, can anyone explain the benefit of using streams sockets ? FWIW,
    even the STREAMS driver used by Solaris has better operational properties
    than this (only one receiving device).

    A naive guess is to provide better reliability of sent messages.  Denial of
    Service issues (with datagram mode - flooding of packets) are still present,
    just different and are arguably more difficult to deal with for little
    overall gain.  I'd venture to say that in a friendly environment, there is
    no benefit in using stream sockets and in an unfriendly one, perhaps even
    disadvantages.

    Darren