Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogd

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group (Cy.Schubertat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 06:23:53 PST

    In message <199911201152.WAA08968at_private>, Darren Reed writes:
    > In some mail from Mixter, sie said:
    > >
    > > The impact of the syslogd Denial Of Service vulnerability seems to
    > > be bigger than expected. I found that syslog could not be stopped from
    > > responding by one or a few connections, since it uses select() calls
    > > to synchronously manage the connections to /dev/log. I made an attempt
    > > with the attached test code, which makes about 2000 connects to syslog,
    > > using multiple processes, and my system instantly died with the message:
    > > 'Kernel panic: can't push onto full stack'
    >
    > Given that most other platforms use datagram sockets (of one type or another)
    > for syslog, can anyone explain the benefit of using streams sockets ? FWIW,
    > even the STREAMS driver used by Solaris has better operational properties
    > than this (only one receiving device).
    >
    > A naive guess is to provide better reliability of sent messages.  Denial of
    > Service issues (with datagram mode - flooding of packets) are still present,
    > just different and are arguably more difficult to deal with for little
    > overall gain.  I'd venture to say that in a friendly environment, there is
    > no benefit in using stream sockets and in an unfriendly one, perhaps even
    > disadvantages.

    At the time the Linux syslogd was written (6+ years ago), Linux did not
    support UNIX domain datagram sockets.  Now that it does support
    datagram sockets, I suspect that no one has bothered to change syslogd
    to use them.

    Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubertat_private
    ITSD                                   Cy.Schubertat_private
    Province of BC
                          "e**(i*pi)+1=0"