Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6A Breaks IP Forwarding

From: Brendan Howes (zeioat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 08:26:43 PST

    While recently evaluating Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6A (Domestic
    Encryption)  to fix the "non-administrators can't connect to Lotus Notes"
    (and use AT&T VNC software) I discovered that Service Pack 6A breaks IP
    forwarding from the RAS WAN interface to the Ethernet interface. I
    attempted to use TinySoftware's Winroute 4.0 and 3.04a, both would complete
    a dial to the ISP authenticate properly then either immediately hang up or
    all IP operations would be interrupted. Sygate did work on Service Pack 6A.
    An administrator at the ISP indicated to me that the TCP/IP protocol was
    never initiated by my OS. Upon re-installing Service Pack 6, the problem
    was corrected.

    I believe this information is meritorious and should be passed on to make
    it clear to Microsoft should take more time and consideration when
    preparing service packs which provide fixes to many of the vulnerabilities
    presented here. A more technical inspection of this issue is warranted.

    Hardware/Software Problem Found On:
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 (6 and 6A)
    TinySoftware WinRoute Pro 4.0, 4.1 and 3.04a
    3COM EL3C905B-TX With  Driver el90xnd4.sys 3.50.40 / el90xbc4.sys 1.60.00.0000
    x86 SMP (2 x Pentium II 450) / 256MB MEM
    SuperMicro P6DGU (Dual Slot 1 GX Based, AMI BIOS, MPS 1.4)