Page table protection on Intel

From: Jason Spence (thalakanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 14:08:25 PST

    In followup to the discussion about page protection on the
    Intel architecture, I got out a copy of the Linux kernel
    source and started poking through it.  There's a comment in
    include/asm-i386/pgtable.h with all the #defines for the
    bit values in the protected mode pages which says that
    the x86 can't distinguish between execute and read for pages.
    It also says that write permissions imply read permissions.

    Looking at it more closely, I don't think that it is
    feasable to efficiently do either write-only or
    read-but-not-execute in the x86's page table system.
    Go get a copy of the latest revision of the Intel
    software developer's manual, section 3, and look at page
    3-14, which lays out the protection rules for *segments*,
    not pages.  There is no execute protection for individual
    pages, only write protection.