wu-ftpd bug

From: m4rcyS (marcysat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 08:43:16 PST

    I guess some people hope to find here remote shell xploit, huehue.
    Calm down, not this time ;) OK, let's go. Everything happens on
    vanilla RH 6.1 box.

    $ man ftpaccess

           guestserver [<hostname>]
                Controls  which  hosts  may  be used for anonymous or
                guest access.  If used without <hostname>, denies all
                guest  or  anonymous  access to this site.  More than
                one <hostname> may be specified.  Guest and anonymous
                access  will  only  be allowed on the named machines.
                If access is denied, the user will be ased to use the
                first <hostname> listed.

    This one looks especially interesting: "If used without <hostname>, denies
    all guest or anonymous access to this site."
    Hmm, let's try:

    # echo guestserver >>/etc/ftpaccess
    $ ftp 0
    Connected to 0.
    220 FTP server ready.
    Name (0:marcys): ftp
    331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.

    Huh ? Pretty funny :) Now there're 3 possibilities:
    1. ftpd bug
    2. man page bug
    3. I'm misunderstanding all this stuff

    Which one's correct ?

    PS.: One thing I'm sure. There is a bug in manpage. Patch? It's
         straightforward - just do:
         sed -e 's/ased/asked/g' /usr/man/man5/ftpaccess.5 >~/abc ;
         mv -f ~/abc /usr/man/man5/ftpaccess.5
         ;))

    greetz,
                                  m4rcyS
                       email: marcelat_private, mat_private
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
                         - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943