Ultimate Bulletin Board v5.3x? Bug

From: Sean Malloy (seanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 16:08:29 PST

    Hi,

    I'm just a reader of this list, I don't really know the protocols to posting
    a message to the list, so oh well.. I'm also not  sure if this problem has
    been posted before, but I did a search through the archives and couldn't
    spot it.

    There seems to be a bug with the UBB under NT. I don't believe Unix users of
    the UBB are faced with the same problem. Ofcourse it could be the version of
    ActivePerl, combined with the bug in the board, but anyways...

    By default, Member files are stored in the /cgi-bin/Members directory. The
    members files are stored as numbers, with a .cgi extension, eg: 00000001.cgi

    Under unix, if you put in http://www.url.blah/cgi-bin/Members/00000001.cgi,
    the server will return a 500 error, however, under NT with ActivePerl (v5.07
    I believe?), it will return something like this:

    CGI Error
    The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of
    HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
    Number found where operator expected at
    D:\CONTENT\wwwroot\data\ubb\Members\00000001.cgi line 2, near "Malby
    1"
    	(Missing semicolon on previous line?)
    syntax error at D:\CONTENT\wwwroot\data\ubb\Members\00000001.cgi line 2,
    near "Malby
    1"
    Bareword found where operator expected at
    D:\CONTENT\wwwroot\data\ubb\Members\00000001.cgi line 2, near "mypass"
    	(Missing operator before malby2?)
    Bareword found where operator expected at
    D:\CONTENT\wwwroot\data\ubb\Members\00000001.cgi line 4, near "//www"
    	(Missing operator before www?)
    Semicolon seems to be missing at
    D:\CONTENT\wwwroot\data\ubb\Members\00000001.cgi line 6.
    Number found where operator expected at D:\CONTE

    yay for UBB handing out my password (line 2) to anyone who wants to read it.
    This does not work on every data file, I think it depends on wether the
    username has spaces in it, etc. However, it creates a very large hole. You
    just need to get one of the administrators data files, and as you could
    imagine, all hell would break loose.

    I've seen posts before, that the UBB isn't exactly safe (heh ;P), so heres
    another problem with it.

    The people at Infopop/Madronapark (very nice folks), offer a "Example Sites"
    list, a listing of users with UBB (Theres a lot of them), so now you have a
    big list of would be victims. Someone can go through, and test each board.
    I'd guarentee that about 40% of the boards are run under NT, and that most
    of them use the default /Members/ directory

    How to fix? change the members path to something more like
    xvc83nx9wy4nd0w74m3. That will solve it

    Sorry for ranting

    Regards,

    Sean