3Com cable modems / Mediaone

From: Luis Henriques (securityat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 03:10:27 PST

    Hi, before I answer the security question regarding the 3COM cable modem, I
    would like to make something clear...the basic rule for security issues
    with cable modems used to be "all cable modems were not born equal" ,
    meaning every manufacturer (i.e. 3com, com21, nortel, motorola, terayon,
    etc) had their own propriatary standards and what was true for one cable
    modem was hardly ever true on another.  Quite recently (last year or so)
    standards for these devices have been developing (this is a good thing for
    consumers). First under the name "MCNS" and recently under the name
    "DOCSIS" (Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification). (More info
    about that at www.cablelabs.com & www.cablemodem.com  and even more at
    www.cablemodeminfo.com ).

    At present most cable modem manufacturers are at version 1.0 of this
    standard (and we all know what this means). Anyways, what we're getting at
    here is that now what may affect a 3COM modem may very well affect a slew
    of other manufacturers. This however; is not to say cable modems are full
    of security issues. In fact I  would argue that DOCSIS cable modems are
    very likely one of the most secure methods of accessing the internet, since
    data between your modem and the CMTS (Cable modem Termination System) in
    your cable provider's head end (equipment room) is first of all encrypted
    and secondly modulated in (QAM or QPSK) Radio Frequency which to most
    people will look like a bunch of noise.  Thirdly, most if not all cable
    providers assign DOCSIS cable modems private IP addresses for management
    purposes via the standard BOOTP process. Needless to say, that's alot more
    security than any dial-up connection I'm aware of.  Now, because the
    modem's IPs are private, this usually means they are not reachable from the
    internet so it is somewhat safe from external intruders. The BOOTP process
    itself is carried out from the RF (coaxial) interface on your modem and not
    from the ethernet side, so this will be a little hard for you to manage
    this process without owning your own CMTS.

    Now here's the interesting part... The BOOTP process is a process similar
    to DHCP which not only assigns your modem an IP address but also uploads a
    configuration file (most of which are binary or md5 files) via TFTP. The
    content of these configuration files are things such as what frequencies
    your modem should talk at over the RF network, the IP of the upgrade
    server, any protocol filters implemented (such as NetBUIE  equivalent
    blocking so you can't see all your  neighbours in your windows network
    neighbourhood icon) and last but not least the speed at which your modem
    should function for uploads and downloads.  So, even if you somehow managed
    to miraculously modify your cable modem's config file, keep in mind that
    everytime your modem powers up it initiates that BOOTP process via the RF
    side and your Cable Provider would upload you a fresh config file that
    would override anything you had preset.

    Now to answer your question....3COM has plenty of info about their cable
    modems on their site http://www.3com.com/products/cablemodem/  , in fact,
    they even have the manuals http://consumer.3com.com/cable/manual/index.html
     .   This so called "firmware" is uploaded to your cable modem by your
    Cable provider with the intent to provide you the latest features or bug
    patches.  This procedure is usually done via SNMP. Hope that's enough to
    chew on for a while ;-)

    Luis Henriques