Re: Local user can fool another to run executable. .CNT/.GID/.HLP

From: Mnemonix (mnemonixat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 19:10:24 PST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Pauli Ojanpera" <pauli_ojanperaat_private>
    To: <BUGTRAQat_private>
    Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 8:55 AM
    Subject: Local user can fool another to run executable. .CNT/.GID/.HLP
    M$WINNT

    > Windows help system uses a HELPFILE.CNT file as table of contents
    > metafile for creating HELPFILE.GID which is needed to view table of
    contents
    > for HELPFILE.HLP.

     <SNIP>
    > BTW that :Title tag in .CNT files has a kind of buffer overflow. Buffer
    size
    > is ~256 bytes. I think it triggers when the created
    > .GID file is opened.

    There are many issues like this with the Windows Helps system. I spoke to
    Dave LeBlanc (@microsoft) about this same issue a few months back and as he
    rightly states .hlp (or.cnt or gid) = = .exe .

    You can create help files (.hlp) that will exec any program with options you
    want as soon as you click on a .hlp file. There are a number of macros you
    can use to do this such as ExecFile() macro - there are about five or seven.
    As far as the buffer overrun is concerned this was discovered and reported
    to Microsoft and they have addressed the problem. Microsoft's advisory about
    this can be found at
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms99-015.asp and my original
    analysis of the overrun can be found at
    http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/wpwhlpbuf.html .

    As far as the newer HTML help system is concerned (HH.EXE) pretty  much most
    of the "execfile" macro functionality has been removed. It is still possible
    however to get HH.EXE to exec a program without the user's intervention
    other than clicking on a chm file. You can use a macro within the HH ActiveX
    control
    and then use the meta refresh tag in the HTML page to do this so when the
    chm file is opened the page is refreshed and the program is exec'd.
    Fortunately the macro used to do this is only "usable" from local chm files
    and not remote webpages that use the ActiveX control supplied onWin98 boxes.

    Cheers,
    David Litchfield
    http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk