Re: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities

From: Kris Kennaway (krisat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 11:20:05 PST

    On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Brock Tellier wrote:

    > All of the vulnerabilities discussed herein are based on my work on
    > FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE. Each of the programs was installed with the
    > default permissions given when unpacked with sysinstall.
    > These permissions are:
    > -rwxr-sr-x 1 bin dialer 88480 Sep 11 00:55 /usr/X11R6/bin/seyon

    This one was fixed a month ago after your last advisory. Obviously, if
    you're still using the same version of the OS you used in your initial
    advisory, it's not going to be fixed :-)

    > -rwsr-xr-x 1 uucp bin 7780 Sep 11 05:15 /usr/X11R6/bin/xmindpath

    This one is a hole in the vendor-provided software, which wants to install
    it setuid uucp by default. With ~2800 third-party apps shipped with
    FreeBSD, we can't be held responsible for the security of all of them :-)

    > -r-xr-sr-x 1 bin games 481794 Sep 11 01:10 /usr/X11R6/bin/angband

    This one is our fault (in the sense that installing it setgid games so it
    can write a high score file is not something the software does by
    default).

    Your advisory wasn't clear whether or not you contacted the port
    maintainers directly about these, and they were just slow off the mark, or
    if it was just security-officerat_private Assuming the former, one way
    of expediting the process would be to send mail to the (new)
    auditat_private mailing list which has several people who will be quite
    happy to do some butt-kicking to get a response :-)

    Kris