Re: Insecure default permissions for MailMan Professional Edition,

From: Christopher Schulte (christopherat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 12:58:37 PST

    Terry,

    It should be quite possible to wrap the mailman cgi processes
    to its own UID on the web server.  CGI scripts do not have
    to have the power and access of 'nobody' these days.

    Indeed, mailman is NOT designed to be a complete secure email
    system.  Of this I am in total agreement.  That does not,
    however, mean that using Mailman is an immediate security
    risk.  There are usually many ways to secure a program.
    Just because the DOCS do not tell you, does not mean you
    should give up and either move to another product or
    accept the risks.

    Security is the responsibility of both the developer
    and end user, imho.  To trust one or the other with
    absoluteness is a problem.  Know the code you produce.
    Know the code you use.  If you don't know how to
    audit code, then at least understand that there are other
    ways of minimizing possible problems via many other
    methods.   Learn to identify, implement, and evaluate the
    effectiveness of your security measures.

    Then shoot for world peace. :-P

    --
    I am Chris.  Hi.
    <!--#include mail="christopherat_private" -->