Re: FTP denial of service attack

From: Theo de Raadt (deraadtat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 21:41:45 PST

    > I don't know of any ftp clients which make use of this feature (multiple
    > data channels supported concurrently) as the original ftp clients were all
    > line-based and only suported one transfer at a time.  Maybe this is
    > reasonable, but it would be a shame for the default defense to this attack
    > to mean you can't use FTP to it's full potential (i.e. start a transfer
    > from the current session but keep using the current `login' session, maybe
    > to start other transfers, as requried).  Triming the number of concurrent
    > data sessions to a maximum of 1-5 (by default) would probably be enough,
    > with the capability to set this higher/lower as required.

    The OpenBSD ftpd has never permitted more than 1 connection at a time
    in PASV mode, thus this particular denial of service attack does not
    work.

    I caused myself some difficulties by accidentally starting up 400 perl
    instances, though..

    One of the Linux's out there also ships with our ftpd, so they will
    not have a problem with this either.  It's either Debian or Suse...