Re: FTP denial of service attack

From: antirezat_private
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 02:17:13 PST

    On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 10:40:09PM +0100, bert hubert wrote:
    > The free unixes these days mostly come with packet filtering available by
    > default, these might be best off. One could imagine a 'libfilter' which
    > would easily allow daemons with the right permissions/capabilities to
    > instruct the kernel to not accept connections anymore from a certain host.

    Also as osserved by Pancrazio De Mauro there are not reasons
    to know the client IP only after accept(2) the connection.
    The SYN packet contains the IP address so it's possible to
    implement for example an accept2 that return just after SYN
    was received so we can obtain the IP address and then use
    accpet2_reset() to RST or accept2_ok() to follow the threeway
    handshake. Since this can be implemented using new syscall
    API compatibility is preserved, but this seems a lot better
    than modify on the fly firewalling rules.

    antirez