Re: FTP denial of service attack

From: Paulo Licio de Geus (pauloat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 11:13:26 PST

    On Tuesday, 7December1999, Dustin Miller wrote:
     > FTP Voyager, for Win32, commonly uses one "login" session and then spawns
     > "download" sessions for each download you begin with a particular site.

    I recently tried FTP Explorer (Windows), and in the past I used Fetch
    on MacOS doing simultaneous transfers in both cases. On closer look it
    seems those applications use the first ftp control connection for the
    main window, and upon a file transfer request issue another ftp
    control connection to handle that file transfer, including the ftp
    data stuff.  I just transferred two large files at the same time under
    FTP Explorer and observed 3 control connections and two data
    connections (PASV mode).

    --
    Paulo Licio de Geus		    Internet: pauloat_private
    Instituto de Computacao	- UNICAMP   voice: +55 19 788-5865