Re: Big problem on 2.0.x?

From: Hugo.van.der.Kooijat_private
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 14:48:17 PST

    On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Eduardo Cruz wrote:

    > Last week i was playing with my old linux 2.0.36 i486 box, while i was playing with the command ping and trying combinations of commands
    > i found that when u do a ping -s 65468 -R  ANYIPADDRESS ( -R record route) the system starts to print on the screen kernel dumps
    > , freezes complitely and after few secconds the system reboots.
    >
    > The major problem with this (if this is a bug, because i dont have time to install differents kernels and test it better) is that command can be run by everyone
    > because you dont need root permissions to make a -R.
    >
    > I tested this on a 2.0.35 and .36 (both slackware), when u try to do this on a 2.2.x the system prints out "message too long".
    > I think the problem is that there is a size-check missed when u reach the maximun packet size and u put the route information, but anyway
    > i am not a guru on kernels.

    Being no guru I noticed there were some patches for these kernels and
    2.0.x kernels now run into 2.0.38 so I suggest you test 2.0.38 before you
    yell BUG.

    Browsing the info on http://www.kernelnotes.org/ does at least make one
    wonder wether this is a known issue that's solved as there are changes in
    the networking code.

    Hugo.

    hvdkooijat_private	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
    Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
        email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!