Solaris WBEM 1.0: plaintext password stored in world readable file

From: Michael Gerdts (gerdtsat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 09:32:46 PST

    A while back I was looking at Sun's WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management)
    and noticed that the preinstall script asked for a password.  According to
    the way that Sun's packaging works, for the password to be used during the
    installation the password would need to be stored in a file.  Sure 'nuf--
    it was stored in /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWwbcor/pkginfo.  If you have installed
    WBEM and have not changed the admin password, I suggest changing the
    password.

    I have reported this bug to Sun.  My report and Sun's response appear
    below.  I see no indication at http://www.sun.com/solaris/wbem/ that a new
    version is available.  It does appear (from a bug report in the Sunsolve
    database) that the Solaris 8 beta includes WBEM 2.0.

    Without authenticating, a search for wbem at http://sunsolve.sun.com/
    reveals no documents unless I authenticate with my support login and
    password.  Using my support login, I still can find no mention of this
    installation bug.

    Jim-- is there any word on a publicly available fix for this?  When will
    Sun release a security patch related to this?  Since everyone had to
    register to download a copy of WBEM 1.0, will Sun send an announcement to
    those that downloaded it notifying them of the vulernability?

    Mike

    ----- Forwarded message from Jim Davis <james.d.davisat_private> -----