Re: sshd1 allows unencrypted sessions regardless of server policy

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 19:07:36 PST

    If we're going to be picking nits....

    > AFAIK...  The passpharse-less host keys are encrypted with 3-DES and
    > no password.  They were, at one time, encrypted with IDEA with no
    > password.

    ...neither IDEA nor triple-DES *can* encrypt with no "password" (by
    which I have to assume you mean what is normally, for a block cipher,
    called a "key").

    Perhaps you mean "some non-secret key"[%], which is not the same thing
    as *no* key.  (Of course, from a security point of view, if a
    non-secret key is used, it makes no difference which one it is.)

    [%] The one resulting from following the usual algorithms on a
        zero-length passphrase, perhaps...?

    > Like I said...  Just a nit...

    "What he said."

    					der Mouse