Re: sshd1 allows unencrypted sessions regardless of server policy

From: Markus Friedl (markus.friedlat_private-ERLANGEN.DE)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 14:13:27 PST

    On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:35:05PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
    > On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 04:43:32PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
    > > Because passphrase-less hostkeys are 'encrypted' with cipher "none"
    > > the code for this cipher is always compiled into the programs.  This
    > > way the client is free to choose "none" and no server will complain.
    >
    > 	AFAIK...  The passpharse-less host keys are encrypted with 3-DES
    > and no password. [...]

    Please look at the source.
    E.g. ssh-1.2.12/authfile.c reads:

    	int save_private_key(
    	  [...]
    	  if (strcmp(passphrase, "") == 0)
    	    cipher_type = SSH_CIPHER_NONE;

    Older versions may have used a real cipher with key "".

    Note also that SSH_CIPHER_NONE is also used for 'encryption' before
    client and server have exchanged the session-key.

    Many of you disagree with me and are saying that this cipher-none
    issue is a non-issue.

    But once more I like to point out that this a security problem in
    a wider sense as it affects your security _policy_.  If you decide
    to remove telnet/rlogin and configure ssh with '--without-none' you
    still have not disabled cleartext logins.  This is not about
    bufferoverflows or exploits, this is about your security _policy_,
    so it is still a security issue.

    Moreover, if a third party manages to replace the (unauthenticated)
    server messages "I will accept only ciphers IDEA and 3DES" with "I
    will accept only cipher NONE" you don't even need a malicious client.