Re: Reinventing the wheel (aka "Decoding Netscape Mail passwords")

From: Holger van Lengerich (gimli@UNI-PADERBORN.DE)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 06:50:51 PST

    > I dont know if it applies to windoze but the Linux & xBSD versions of
    > netscape store the 'encoded' (not encrypted) password even if
    > the user never ticks the remember password box.
    >
    > Now that Netscape should fix!

    This bug does occur only in 4.5 (all OS'es) and is already fixed in 4.51!

    However, Communicator 4.51 and up will not clear the stored passwords, once
    they have been stored accidentally with 4.5 .

    So they did their job ... not as well as they could, but they did it.

    Regards,
       Holger

     Holger van Lengerich - University of Paderborn - Dept. of Computer Science
      System-Administration - Warburger Str. 100 - D 33098 Paderborn - Germany
       mailto:gimli@uni-paderborn.de - http://www.uni-paderborn.de/admin/gimli