Re: Groupewise Web Interface

From: Tim Adams (tadamsat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 10:06:30 PST

    I'm running GroupWise 5.5 (w/ the Enhancement Pack).  On our web server if I use the following URLS:

    http:// address>/cgi-bin/GW5/GWWEB.EXE?HELP=../../../../../index.htm
    http:// address>/cgi-bin/GW5/GWWEB.EXE?HELP=bad-request.htm
         (or html, or no extension at all)

    I get a "Not Found    The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. "

    If I modify the "Help" link on the login page (http:// address>/com/novell/webaccess/help/en/bad.htm), I still get the "Not Found" message.

    Here's the interesting bit:  Modify the URL by removing the *.html file. Now you can browse the directory structure of the web server.  Go to the /com/novell/webaccess directory and what do we find?  The webacc.cfg file.  The file actually contains the version of the server, Novell paths, etc.  No passwords are contained here.  The actual gateway password is stored encrypted in the commgr.cfg file (which is stored in a location separate from the actual web pages/servlets).

    You can't get to the NDS structure from the website (according to Novell).  Best solution here (if you are still concerned) is to insure that the NDS tree isn't duplicated onto this server, and place it outside of your firewall.  The box itself contains no user information (please don't say you are running the Web access from your main GroupWise box) -  it just passes the login to the GroupWise server.

    Possible solutions:

    1)  Modify the html code, removing the "Help" button and links.
    2)  Add an index.htm file to each level of the open directory structure that will redirect the user back to the login page - or add a "honey pot" to track unauthorized users

    I've forwarded this message off to my Novell rep.  More solutions should be forthcoming.

    Tim Adams

    >>> Sacha Faust Bourque <sfaustat_private> 12/19/99 03:08PM >>>
    Problems found with GroupeWise web server ( Novell was contacted 3 weeks ago
    and no reply )

    1. The help argument in GWWEB.EXE reveal full web path on the server
    2. anyone can read a .htm file on the system with the GWWEB.EXE and the HELP
    argument.

    Example:

    1. ( full web server path )

    By sending http://server/cgi-bin/GW5/GWWEB.EXE?HELP=bad-request
    the server will reply
    Could not find file SYS:WEB\CGI-BIN\GW5\US\HTML3\HELP\BAD-REQUEST.HTM
    2. ( read any .htm file )

    by sending http://server/cgi-bin/GW5/GWWEB.EXE?HELP=../../../../../index   (
    refering to the path returned in the previous example ). You will see the
    main web site interface.

    We did some intensive test with the HELP trying to get rid of the .htm that
    it happens and we were unable to
    get rid of it. We are currently testing other arguments sent to GWWEB.EXE.

    This was tested on GroupWise 5.2 and 5.5 .

    This was found by Laurent Hollo and me.

    Sacha Faust Bourque
    sfaustat_private