SCO OpenServer Security Status

From: Michael Almond (mikeaat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:45:57 PST

    Here is SCO OpenServer's status regarding the recent (and some
    not so recent) BUGTRAQ postings:

    UnixWare pkg* command exploits
    	OpenServer is not vulnerable in exactly the same way via
    	dacread privilege  but vulnerabilities exist through
    	buffer overflows - we're working on fixing them.

    UnixWare coredumps following symlinks
         	OpenServer does not have same exact vulnerability wrt s[ug]id
    	programs allowed to dump core but but there are vulnerabilities
    	with programs that were s[ug]id and have relaxed it and general
    	issues of coredumping on symlinked names - we're working on
    	fixing both issues.

    Fundamental flaw in UnixWare 7 security
    	OpenServer has a different security model to UW7 so this is not
    	applicable.

    UnixWare read/modify users' mail (/var/spool/mail)
    	This is also not applicable on OpenServer.  OpenServer's equivalent
    	is /usr/spool/mail which has 1777 perms (world-writable, but sticky
          so only owner can delete files).  The local delivery agent will
    	not deliver to a file not owned by the recipient; will not follow
    	symlinks or write to a file with multiple names (hard links);
    	and is designed to avoid race conditions.

    UnixWare and the dacread permission
     	OpenServer has a different security model to UW7 so this is not
     	applicable.

    UnixWare gain root with non-su/gid binaries: xauto
     	Not applicable to OpenServer.

    We are working on the first two vulnerabilities and will have fixes
    available by December 31st.

    In addition to the first two vulnerabilities, we are also putting the
    finishing touches on another large collection of previously reported
    OpenServer vulnerabilities (and vulnerabilities we discovered ourselves)
    which will be available by December 25th.  The current contents include
    (but will not be limited to):

      1. Buffer overflows in:

        /usr/mmdf/chans/smtpsrvr
        /etc/killall
        /etc/popper
        /usr/bin/mscreen
        /usr/bin/rlogin
        /bin/su
        /usr/lib/sysadm/termsh
        /usr/lib/libX11.so.5.0
        /usr/lib/libXt.so.5.0
        /usr/lib/libXmu.so.5.0
        /usr/lib/libXaw.so.5.0
        /usr/lib/libX11.a
        /usr/lib/libXt.a
        /usr/lib/libXmu.a
        /usr/lib/libXaw.a
        /usr/bin/X11/xterm
        /usr/bin/X11/xload
        /usr/bin/X11/scoterm
        /usr/bin/X11/scolock
        /usr/bin/X11/scosession
        /usr/bin/X11/scologin
        /usr/lpd/remote/rlpstat
        /usr/lpd/remote/cancel
        /usr/lpd/remote/lpmove

      2. Algorithmic vulnerabilities in:

        /etc/sysadm.d/bin/userOsa:
          Can improperly write to privileged files

        /usr/bin/X11/Xsco:
          Can improperly read privileged files
          (also buffer overflows)

        /bin/hello:
          Can improperly acess privileged devices
          Allows transmission of dangerous characters

        /bin/write:
          Allows transmission of dangerous characters

        /bin/login:
          Corrupt /etc/dialups causes login failure
          Insufficient error checking

    Michael Almond
    mikeaat_private
    SCO OpenServer Team Lead