Re: majordomo local exploit

From: Spidey (spideyat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 08:29:03 PST

    It would be important to note that on POSIX systems, the wrapper is
    compiled to setuid() to the majordomo user, so this won't give a root
    shell...

    On other systems, you are advised to install majordomo suid 'majordomo'
    instead of root.

    >From the "INSTALL" file:

    3) Edit the Makefile, defining where Perl and the C compiler are, the
       Majordomo home directory (chosen in step 2), the location of the
       manual pages, the user and group that Majordomo will run under, and
       the permissions for the various files and directories. If running on
       a non-POSIX system, comment out the POSIX SECTION in the Makefile.
       Under POSIX, wrapper must be setuid "root", even if the programs will
       be running as something other than "root" (i.e., "daemon"), or it
       won't work. The symptom of this is that Perl starts complaining about
       security violations and "unsafe usages".

    Hum... In fact, it is not really written clearly that one non-POSIX
    system should not install the wrapper suid root, but that's how I see it
    since:

    #ifdef POSIX_GID
        setgid(POSIX_GID);
    #else
        setgid(getegid());
    #endif

    #ifdef POSIX_UID
        setuid(POSIX_UID);
    #else
        setuid(geteuid());
    #endif

    I think I will warn majordomo about this...

    AnarCat

    Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
    C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
    L'important ne serait que de voir

    Lofofora