Re: The "Mac DoS Attack," a Scheme for Blocking Internet

From: Paul Schinder (schinderat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 06:46:00 PST

    On         Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:07:03 -0500, John Copeland wrote:

    >* Then help get the word to owners of Macintoshes connected to cable
    modems,
    >ADSL modems, or LANs to install the patch that Apple has developed
    >(http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11559).

    The initial Apple patch for this problem fails for a variety of machines.
    See http://www.macintouch.com for some user reports. The patch disabled
    TCP/IP on my iBook when using a dial-up PPP connection, so I had to remove
    it. As of the last time I checked, afternoon Dec 29. a revised patch had
    not appeared.

    Has anyone checked Apple's non-MacOS machines? I'm not worried much about
    the Newton I'm writing this on, since it only goes online occasionally on
    a dialup. But our Airport, which fronts for the iBook when it's at home,
    is on our house LAN connected to our cable modem. Do the Airports have the
    same problem? How about MacOS X server and Darwin?

    --------
    Paul J. Schinder
    NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
    Code 693