PC-Cillin 6.x DoS Attack

From: Daniel P. Stasinski (dannysat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 10:37:09 PST

    Version 6.x of Trend Micro's PC-Cillin Anti-Virus software can be
    subjected to a remote DoS attack and possibly authorized relays.

    As part of it's Java/ActiveX protection, it routes all http
    requests through its own internal proxy on port 8431.
    Unfortunately, it allows anyone anywhere to connect to that port
    and dump enough data through it to saturate an unexpected victims
    connection.   Their tech's could not confirm or deny if remote
    users are able to get an outbound connection from the victims
    system.

    I have contacted Trend Micro, and they are aware of the problem
    but have no plans for a hot patch.  They did say it would be
    fixed in the next major release (v7.0 ?)

    Daniel