Re: The "Mac DoS Attack," a Scheme for Blocking Internet

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 11:00:49 PST

    > [...new(?) smurf-style DoS attack...]

    > Prevention
    > [...]
    > The Internet Service Providers (ISPs) must take action to drop long
    > ICMP packets in the backbone networks (any packet longer than 1499
    > bytes, at least).

    This strikes me as a very bad idea.  It's rather like saying, NFS can
    be used to attack insecure machines, so let's block NFS packets on
    long-haul links: yes, it's true that such attacks are possible, but the
    facility is useful and the *correct* thing to do is to secure the
    insecure machines, not break the (useful) underlying facility for
    everyone else.  (Rather like the SSRR and LSRR IP options, though I
    realize *that* fight was in practice lost long ago.)

    					der Mouse

    			       mouseat_private