Y2K bug in Shadow IDS

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 13:00:52 PST

    As taken from the Incidents mailing list at SecurityFocus.com:

    To:
               Incidents
     Subject:
               Y2K bug in Shadow IDS
     Date:
               Sun Jan 02 2000 05:57:58
     Author:
               Patrick Oonk

    Hi,

    The shadow IDS contains a programming mistake that breaks
    many scripts in the suite. The author assumed at some point
    that the output of the year value in Perl's date functions
    is a 2 digit number which it isn't. In 2000 the value
    of $year is '100'.

    I made a small fix which still is not pretty, but going
    to a 4 digit year would break many other things in the scripts,
    and this fix will work for the next 99 years anyway :)

    I changed the top of 'sensor/variables.ph' into

            # We need various timestamps all over the place
            @T = localtime;
            if ($T[5] > 99) {
            $T[5] -= 100;
            }

    By the way, the Shadow perl scripts also use /tmp a lot with
    predictable file names, so local exploits are possible,
    but this is more of a Bugtraq issue I guess.

            p.

    --
     Patrick Oonk - PO1-6BONE - patrickat_private - www.pine.nl/~patrick
     Pine Internet B.V.      GOAT666-RIPE          PGP key ID BE7497F1