Re: irix-soundplayer.sh

From: Dale Southard (dsouthat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 13:57:46 PST

    pdaat_private writes:
     > > midikeys might not setuid these days but you get the idea...
     >
     >  Worked fine on Irix 6.4 here... although i had to change csh to sh
     > for some reason... csh returned permission denied, 4755 and all.  I
     > assume the fix is to take out the suid bit?

    Or remove/don't install dmedia_eoe.sw.synth.  Though it's included on
    standard install of IRIX on newly purchased SGI's, it isn't one of the
    packages installed when building a new OS from the 6.5.x CDROMs.

    Better yet, follow Security Focus and SGI security lists at the URLs
    below.  Both Security Focus and SGI have had a security advisory on
    the midikeys vulnerability out since May 1999.  Both advisories
    suggested the above fix.

      http://www.sgi.com/Support/security/security.html
      http://www.securityfocus.com/

    Said another way, there was nothing new about the irix-soundplayer.sh
    script -- it exploited a fairly old, widely known vulnerability that
    should be fixed on any properly maintained IRIX box.  If your machine
    still had that hole open, it's likely got several other problems
    waiting for the script kiddies to exploit.

    The first step in securing any system is realizing the the vendor
    didn't do it for you....

    --

    /* Dale Southard Jr.                  219/631-7326 fax:219/631-5952 */
    /* Science Computing Associate,       dsouthat_private -- pgp accepted */