Re: [Hackerslab bug_paper] Solaris chkperm buffer overflow

From: Brock Tellier (btellierat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 11:24:35 PST

    >[Hackerslab bug_paper] Solaris chkperm buffer overflow
    >
    >[Hackerslab:/users/loveyou/buf]$ chkperm -n `perl -e 'print "x" x 200'`
    >Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    >
    >it is recommended that  the suid bit is
    >removed from chkperm using command :
    >
    > chmod 400 /usr/vmsys/bin/chkperm

    Hrm, yeah, I found this one some months ago while I was checking out chkperm's
    ability to read bin-owned files.  After some testing I concluded that, at
    least on SPARC, the function where the overflow occurs will exit() before it
    is allowed to return (and then return again), meaning that a buffer overflow
    exploit is probably not possible.  I would be interested to see if anyone came
    to a different conclusion.

    Brock Tellier
    UNIX Systems Administrator
    Chicago, IL, USA