Re: Netscape Communicator 4.7 exploit [NT/win2k].

From: Thompson, Zach, CPG (zthompsonat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 06:05:41 PST

    I tested this vulnerability on a Win2k Professional machine(AKA Windows NT
    WS 2000) running the currently downloadable version of Communicator 4.7 and
    found it to be vulnerable. After executing the test hyperlink on
    beavuh.org's page on my client machine, I was able telnet to a remote shell
    on port 6968 of my client machine.

    **One thing to note though**

    After clicking on this link, Communicator stopped responding and I let it
    sit for about 3 minutes thinking it might come back. Eventually I had to
    kill it with Task Manager. After killing Netscape, the remote shell was lost
    on the target machine and the Telnet session was disconnected. This only
    leaves a small amount of time for the malicious person to exploit the remote
    shell before the end user kills Netscape for not responding.

    You would think Netscape might post a patch since this is still a problem
    with the version they have for download, and the exploit was posted over a
    month ago.

    -Z