Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain on the net...

From: Homer Wilson Smith (homerat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 08:37:55 PST

         There have been a number of times when a customer of ours wishes to
    move a domain to us.  Latest case, they had a domain with another
    provider, and the admin and billing contact were listed under
    nameat_private of the owner.  For whatever reason his e-mail at
    domain.com was not working, part of why he wanted to change to us, so he
    was able to send in the change request but not receive the ack reply.

         I called the ISP, and they were *CLUELESS*, argued with me about how
    they weren't the Tech Zone Contact, until I pointed out they were on the
    internic whois, then they argued with me that it was the customers fault
    for making them the Tech Zone Contact etc, I mean REAL stupid. But they
    refused to put through the change form or ack it.

         So I changed my e-mail address in Eudora to the customers address
    at his domain.com, and sent in the modify request.  It went through
    without hassle.

         Done this twice in my life, for basically the same reason, worked
    both times.

         Homer

    Homer Wilson Smith   Clear Air, Clear Water,  Art Matrix - Lightlink
    (607) 277-0959       A Green Earth and Peace. Internet Access, Ithaca NY
    homerat_private  Is that too much to ask? http://www.lightlink.com