Re: IIS still revealing paths for web directories

From: Norbert Luckhardt (nlat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 12:32:01 PST

    Hello out there,

    At 11:10 13.01.00 , Georgi Guninski wrote:
    >This leads to a client side problem also.
    >The problem is IIS does not escape the response, so one may put some
    >HTML and javascript in the page returned from www.microsoft.com.
    >Vulnerabilities:
    >1) For IE (tested on 5.01, probably other versions) - if the user has
    >put www.microsoft.com in the Trusted sites security zone, then hostile
    >javascript and ActiveX may be executed in the Trusted sites security
    >zone.

    even if You mind to see <anyhost>.microsoft.com as a trusted site - it also
    works with the update host where You need more rights to use it :-(

    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/%3CIMG%20SRC=javascript:alert("Insecurity
    &nbsp;starts&nbsp;here!\nwindow.location:"+window.location)%3E.ida

    [URL probably wrapped]

    this also works with IE (5.0 DE) and IMG SRC - I do not have to reload the
    page (I guess it's because of the last IE Bug Georgi found - IE starts it
    in the security context of the previuosly used page - when pasting the URL
    in the location field it does not start when the previous URL was not able
    to execute JS)

    more over: the <P>-URL puts up the dialog again immediately after closing
    the box, so that You have to kill IE...

    http://www.microsoft.com/%3CP%20style=left:expression(alert("window.location
    :"+window.location))%3E.ida

    [URL probably wrapped]

    have secure fun, Shalom dann,
    NOrbert

    --
    Norbert Luckhardt   http://www.heise.de/ct/Redaktion/nl/
    Redaktion c't       Tel.: +49 511 5352 - 300    Fax: +49 511 5352 - 417