Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain...

From: Brian Mueller (bmuellerat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 20:33:13 PST

    Actually, it goes MUCH farther than what has been mentioned here thus far.
    I run a commercial webserver, and I run my own DNS for that webserver.  Once
    a while back we migrated all of our DNS information from a slower machine to
    a faster machine.  Rather than renaming the hostname and IP address of the
    new machine we gave it a totally new hostname and IP address.  Now I was
    faced with a problem.  I had a *lot* of websites that needed to have their
    entries at network solutions changed to point to the new DNS servers.  Well,
    I decided to give it a shot and I sent Network Solutions an e-mail stating
    my problem and my intended solution, along with a list of all of the domains
    which needed to be changed to a new DNS server.   They did it without asking
    anymore questions, and without sending notification to all of my clients.
    This raises the question.  What about stealing an entire DNS server and
    pointing it to your own box?  I did it with my own servers, why couldn't
    anyone else?

    Brian Mueller

    Brian Mueller
    President/CEO