Warning: VCasel security hole.

From: bob mare (xdeath911at_private)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 06:45:10 PST

    Blue Collar Hackers Union
    http://bcu.n3.net

    -Security Bulletin-
    1/17/00
    From: xDeath
    To: ALL
    In Reference to: VCasel 3.0
    Platform: Win95

    -----B A C K G R O U N D  I N F O-----

       Vcasel (Visual Casel) is a program released by
    Computer Power Solutions of Illinois which is
    apparently intended as some sort of addon to Novell
    Netware
    3.X and above.  What VCasel is supposed to do, or is
    advertised to do is provide a nice GUI for network
    admins to secure and maintain a LAN with ease and
    provide each user with a customized(unalterable)
    desktop. The program boasts that with VCasel there is
    no longer a need for "access control, policy files or
    profiles." This program also says that it can prevent
    users from executing files not specified by the Admin.
     It also does more, but I am entirely to lazy to
    list the rest of its features.

    -----P R O B L E M-----

       Vcasel uses fails to successfully limit or prevent
    the execution of "un-approved files."

    -----E X P L A I N A T I O N-----

       The program does succeed in limiting the names of
    the files executed, but there is no path verification.
     For example, if an admin said user JohnDoe
    could execute write.exe, the admin isn't specifying
    c:\windows\write.exe, just the binary write.exe.  Now
    JohnDoe decides that he is getting bored on the
    network so he goes off and finds his favorite game
    online(pong.exe and downloads it to his home directory
    on H: (total different drive and path then write.exe).
    He firsts tries to execute pong.exe from his available
    drives folder and sees an "Unauthorized Executable"
    message window pop up on his screen.  Next John
    decides to re-download the game, but this time name it
    something different, he chooses to name it(when
    prompted by client) write.exe, but he saves it to his
    home directory.  He once again tried to run it from
    his available drives folder and w00p! it started up.
    Now sure, one person running a game of some sort isn't
    that
    big of a deal, but think of the possibilities.  What
    if he renamed another, far more malicious file
    write.exe?  I have tested several executables with
    this hole
    and was able to load a login/password logger from a
    normal user account that would start on boot-up.
    Also, from a normal user I was able to view and change
    files/directories/drives that were specified as hidden
    and "unaccessible" thru VCasel by simply copying and
    renaming File Manager.  The ramifications are
    practically endless.

    No fix/patch is presently available from what I know.