Re: Trusted process on an untrusted machine?

From: Pavel Machek (pavelat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 12:23:09 PST

    Hi!

    > Some of ways an attacker could bypass this protection:
    > 4)  Kernel wars!  A SMP machine that boots an untrusted kernel.  Have
    >     the APIC vector the attacking processor the timer interrupt then vector all
    >     other interrupts to the 'good' proc.  The attacking proc then destroys
    >     the MP configuration table so the 'good' proc doesnt know it is an MP
    >     system.  The attacking proc then tries to take over the system after X
    >     amount of time and steal the checksum/key.
    >     [It has been a few months since I've looked at x86 SMP]
    >     Solution:  There should be a LOCK pin on most processors that locks the
    >                memory bus.  The kernel module can lock the bus and proceed to
    >                zero out all memory not used by the good kernels page
    > tables.

    No. You can't assume you know about all memory. (And I think LOCK does
    not work the way you imagine it). Rogue second cpu could be hiding in
    videoram of PCI card, for example.

    > 5)  Hardware bus snooping.  A PCI device on the memory bus to grab the
    >     checksum/key then give the key to another malicious machine.
    >     Solution:  ???

    [This is not really usefull attack, but it can be well used to screw
    you]

    Remove heatsink from the cpu. Watch your "trusted" program do
    single-bit errors from time to time. Have fun.

    								Pavel
    --
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+