Re: stream.c - new FreeBSD exploit?

From: Bill Fumerola (billf@CHC-CHIMES.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:16:20 PST

    On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 02:44:38PM -0800, The Tree of Life wrote:

    > When I talked to another person to ask if he had 'acquired' the source, he
    > said he wasn't going to give it out.  I asked him if he had a patch for it,
    > and he replied "the fbsd team is working on it.  No patch is available right
    > now."
    >
    > What's the importance of this?  Major companies such as Yahoo
    > (www.yahoo.com) and others run freebsd.

    Major companies have firewalls too, but from what it sounds like, this
    attack may crash/freeze/reboot/whatever them as well.

    > According to the irc admin, a simple reboot fixes it.  "Your box reboots or
    > dies."  He also stated, when asked if anything noticeable happened, that
    > "nothing unusual [happened]".
    >
    > The only log that he could provide was this one:
    >
    > ---snip---
    > syslog:Jan 18 12:30:36 x kernel: Kernel panic: Free list empty
    > ---snip---

    [hawk-billf] /sys > find . |xargs grep -ie 'free list empty'
    [hawk-billf] /sys > uname -mrs
    FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT i386

    > One thing of note:  he also stated this happened on non-freebsd systems,
    > which is contrary to what the other person said, who was "under the
    > impression it was freebsd specific."

    The above is a Linux panic, so it obviously works on non-FreeBSD machines.

    It's a pity to attach FreeBSD to this exploit, as it obviously isn't specific
    to just the FreeBSD stack. I wish the FUD would just go away sometimes.

    --
    Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
    Computer Horizons Corp - CVM

    ps. I'm not speaking for CHC or for FreeBSD...