Re: Windows 2000 Run As... Feature

From: Steven Kastl (skastlat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 16:58:04 PST

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, David Terrell wrote:

    > In all the hubbub over whether the semantic of the Run As... feature
    > in Windows 2000, a much more important shortcoming is that this is the
    > first time (I know of) that the system asks for your password through
    > a mechanism other than the trusted path (ctrl-alt-del to login,
    > ctrl-alt-del to change password).  This is an unfortunate compromise
    > in an otherwise useful feature.

    Not true.

    In Windows NT Explorer, when mapping a network drive, you can specify to
    map the drive as another person (just the same as the "Run As..."
    functionality).  When you select "OK" to create the drive mapping, you are
    asked to provide a password -- a la "Run As..." -- and never required to
    hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to do so.

    Nothing new.

    --Steve Kastl
    skastlat_private   |

    "Great power reveals itself in great self-mastery.  While a weak state may
    kill off all dissenters, a great one should be able to tolerate them."
                                              -- Walter Kaufmann

    Better still, they should encourage them.
                                              -- Steve Kastl