Re: S/Key & OPIE Database Vulnerability

From: Evil Pete (shipleyat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 18:47:24 PST

    I disagree, by reading the skeykeys/opiekeys file you can gain
    insight on all users.  While, as you point out, this can be obtained
    via login probes, the skey-login program will provide false data as well.

     eg:
    	fbsd#  telnet www.dis.org
    	Trying 216.240.45.60...
    	Connected to kizmiaz.dis.org.
    	Escape character is '^]'.

    	login: fooberry

    	S/Key MD5 65 fd681a7be2a92421
    	S/Key Password:

    thus an advantage to keeping this data a system secret.

    In addition by viewing the skeykeys file you can also learn more about
    account usage  (last skey login etc..) which can be useful in compromising
    a system while avoiding detection.

    Also, in the relm of security you do not want to expose any system information
    unless it is necessary. thus (imo) /etc/*.conf should not be publicly readable
    unless required by the service.   All system information should be on a
    "need to know basis"