Re: Lotus Notes Local Replicated Database Problem

From: bram@E-WARENESS.BE
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 00:40:58 PST

    >In Lotus Notes it brings up a password dialog box as usual, but by
    accident i
    >pressed esc, on it....  Now this came up saying it was wrong and try
    again.
    >well i pressed esc again and it brought up an error stating that
    Lotus Notes
    >had, had an internal error.  and to my surprise it allowed me to view
    my email
    >without the use of a password.  But, every now and then it brings up
    the
    >password dialog box, but each and everytime you can just press Esc
    until an
    >error occurs again and you can view it again, this can take up to 5 -
    6 Esc
    >pressing sequences.

    You are accessing your maildatabase locally (you just replicated it).
    Notes does not need a password to open a database locally, and the
    philosophy behind it is very simple: if you can view the contents of
    that specific database -which is just a file- with a text/hex editor,
    why bother to require a password?  If a password would be required,
    the user felt he would be safe without actually being safe.

    How can this be changed?

    In the Access Control List for the database, click on Advanced and
    select 'Enforce Consistent ACL'... This means that a password is
    required for opening it... But remember: it's still a local file, and
    this kind of 'security' can easily be circumvented.
    Better yet: go to the Database Properties of the local copy of your
    maildatabase, and click on 'Encryption'. There you can choose to
    encrypt the database locally for your User ID. This way, the database
    will only be accessible by you, if you have your userID and your
    password... Lose your user.id file, and the contents of your
    maildatabase are lost.  Most of the time your notes admins have safely
    stored backups of ID-files, but you wouldn't be the first to delete
    your idfile, to find out that there is no backup left.

    >Like I say it might be a known problem, but i have copied Lotus on
    it, and am
    >awaiting there reply.

    This is how the software works. This is not a problem.

    Ask your Notes support people on how to encrypt local databases -
    which should be done if you have a laptop. Notes/Domino has one of the
    best security systems/philosopies I have seen yet. It takes however
    some knowledge to set it up properly on the serverside, and just a
    littlebit training for the end user.

    Bram