Re: SAS behavior in Windows NT - RE: Windows 2000 Run As...

From: Ron Parker (ronat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 08:36:41 PST

    At 05:59 PM 1/26/2000 -0800, jdglaser wrote:
    >So if entry to a kernel mode piece is protected by application level ACL's,
    >it is a weaker form of protection. (Yes you can get past kernel mode
    >protection too, but it is a more sophisticated attack)

    Not that sophisticated.  Get a copy of the DDK, write a graphics driver
    whose sole purpose in life is to patch the kernel, and away you go.  The
    API at the driver level is a bit different, but it's easily possible to
    hook a kernel function and point it at your new version.  I've done it,
    for a legitimate purpose, and my driver has no visible effect on the
    day-to-day operation of the machine (SoftICE doesn't like it, though.)

    The only things preventing your new device driver from being installed
    are the protections on a few registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  The
    only things preventing it from walking all over kernel memory (in W2K)
    are a couple more keys that NuMega was kind enough to document in the
    SoftICE Knowledge Base.  All of them are writable for the Administrator.
    Next time the machine is rebooted, it's yours.

    --
    Ron Parker
    GW Micro, Inc.