Re: SyGate 3.11 Port 7323 / Remote Admin hole

From: Brian Hampson (brianat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 11:46:37 PST

    When we last heard from you, the following words rang out across the 'Net:

    >The Sygate gateway server is the computer that connects
    >to the Internet and is running the Sygate software.

    >Sygate runs on Win95/98 and Windows NT 4.0 ( Service
    >Pack 3 and higher). On NT Server 4.0 it installs and
    >runs as an NT Service.

    >Sybergen does NOT document this utility.

    Cute.

    >This "Remote Administration Engine" (RAE) is SUPPOSEDLY
    >ACCESSIBLE ONLY FROM THE INTERNAL NETWORK, by
    >initiating a Telnet session to port 7323 on the Sygate
    >gateway. For security reasons, access to this utility
    >from the Internet is SUPPOSED to be blocked.

    >However, I have been able to access the Sygate Remote
    >Administration Engine from outside the Sygate gateway.

    >I have been able to initiate a Telnet session to port
    >7323 of a Sygate 3.11 gateway from machines on the
    >Internet that were supposed to NOT be able to establish
    >this kind of connection.

    >I have been able to duplicate this security hole on a
    >number of machines running Windows NT Server 4.0 with
    >Service Pack 4 and Sygate 3.11 builds 556 and 560. I
    >have not tested this on Win95/98. Also, all these NT
    >servers did NOT have the Sygate "Enhanced Security"
    >feature enabled, nor were these NT servers running
    >Secure Desktop (SyShield), a Sybergen firewall product.

    Verified with NT Workstation and Sygate as well.

    >HOWEVER, this access via Telnet over the Internet is
    >possible only ONCE per NT Server reboot. I do not know
    >why this is so but after ending the initial Internet
    >connection to port 7323 of the Sygate server, another
    >Telnet session cannot connect to that port until the NT
    >server is rebooted.

    Verified as well. Odd but handy.  I suppose another interim fix is to make
    sure you telnet from external as soon as your machine has booted :)

    B.
    --

       Brian P. Hampson                  ASL Analytical Service Laboratories Ltd
       System Administrator,             Vancouver, BC (604)253-4188

    Speaking for myself, not ASL