Re: Tempfile vulnerabilities

From: foo (fooat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 13:53:29 PST

    DOH! DOH! DOH!

    I meant to add a note about randomizing the tempfile names
    but forgot to add it in the bugtraq email.
    I apologize for being lame.

    However, I still think that avoiding world writable temporary
    directories in the first place is your best bet. Trying to
    randomize your tempfile names alone is almost (now, before
    hundreds of people start attacking my philosophy, i said, *almost*)
    practising security through obscurity! I'm not saying that this
    extra step should not be taken, but relying upon PRNGs alone
    doesn't solve the problem, just makes it a bit harder.
    Afterall, PRNGs utilize deterministic algorithms which simulate
    randomness. As some people like to put it: due to the finite
    state space of the program implementing the PRNG, its output
    will eventually return to its original value. We could argue
    from now till kingdom come on what is an acceptable period.

    - John