Windows NT and account list leak ! A new SID usage

From: Pascal Longpre (longprepat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 18:57:24 PST

    This may not be new but I haven't seen it anywhere else so
    here it is.

    - Description -
    It is possible to list the whole user list of a domain by
    querying any workstation on that domain. Even if the domain
    controller is hidden behind a firewall or has IP filtering
    enabled, the list comes out gracefully since the
    workstation forwards the query for you.
    I suspect that this may even work on a workstation
    connected to it's DC through a VPN but I haven't tested it
    yet.

    - Explanations -
    The idea is to get the workstation to spit it's domain SID
    with the LsaQueryInformationPolicy() function. Normally,
    that fonction would require the "GENERIC_READ |
    GENERIC_EXECUTE" access rights in order to work but I
    discovered that by simply using the "MAXIMUM_ALLOWED"
    access right it works through the good old null session.

    - Exploitation -
    I wrote a small program called "dom2sid" demonstrating
    this. It should be available shortly on the securityfocus
    free tools list. It returns the computer/domain names and
    SIDs. You can then feed this to the popular sid2user tool
    and get the whole user list.If both SIDs are equal, you
    found a DC.

    - Fix -
    The "restrict anonymous" solution provided by Microsoft
    doesn't help here. The only way I was able to stop this
    behavior was to use a program called fixpol.exe. Don't ask
    me where I found that one, I don't remember...

    Enjoy !!

    If this is old stuff, well just forget about this message !!