SARA Security Auditor -- a new tool

From: Security (securityat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 19:41:07 PST

    INTRODUCTION

    We would like to announce the availability of a sorta new
    network security auditor that is based on the original
    SATAN architecture.  The product is called the Security
    Auditor's Research Assistant (SARA). Of course it is free,
    and it has been field used sucessfully in several enterprises where
    it has scanned tens of thousands of hosts.  In addition, we offer
    a commercially oriented product called SARA Pro that we will
    soon offer free of charge to U.S. Government agencies (.gov
    and .mil).  SARA Pro's claim to fame is a commercial grade
    report writer that is easily imported to Microsoft Word.

    Information on SARA and SARA Pro can be found at
    http://www-arc.com/sara.  If interested, you can subscribe
    (subscribe sara-l) to our listserver at list@mail-arc.com.

    DETAILS

    SARA has been around for over a year.  It was based on the
    SATAN code but was enhanced to (1) more quickly respond
    to today's exploits and (2) provide a real-time report writer that
    would generate professional looking reports for management and
    the technical staff.

    We are members of several Incident Response Teams (IRTs).  In
    this role,we often discover exploits before they are documented in
    the various lists, including securityfocus (e.g., rpc.cmsd and sadmind).
    When we find these exploits, we (1) report to bugtraq and
    (2) develop tests for SARA. We are confident that SARA is always
    up to date!

    Why are we peddling SARA?  To be quite honest, we want it to be used
    and extended.  We recently introduced SARA extensions for those who
    want to build new subprograms for SARA.

    What's in it for us?  Hopefully less work as more folks contribute to its
    development.  We are doing this completely "out of hide" (as many of you
    are quite familiar).

    Check it out.  If you like it, tell us.  If you don't like it, tell us (but
    please be
    kind).

    Thnaks for your attention.
    Advanced Research Corporation