Re: Tempfile vulnerabilities

From: antirez (antirezat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 03:16:09 PST

    On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 02:36:20PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
    > The terrible /tmp race handling aside...
    >
    > I suppose then that anyone who attacks a machine which relies on
    > /dev/random -- a world readable device -- should do the following:
    >
    > 	cat /dev/random > /dev/null &
    >
    > Crypto software which uses those devices should be doing some kind of
    > checking to make sure that they are getting at least good entropy.  I
    [snip]

    Sure but there is another problem, while evil user exec 'cat /dev/random >
     /dev/null &' maybe that the following results in an infinite loop:

    while(there_are_enougt_entropy() == 0)
    	sleep(1);
    /* race -- what if the evil user starts to deplate the entropy pool here? */
    get_entropy_from_randomdev();

    Can be so easy to DoS cryptographic software?

    Of course all insecure cgi scripts or daemons may be used to pool from
    /dev/random remotely. An example? the old TERM="../../../bla" problem.

    antirez