Re: Evil Cookies.

From: Jon Paul, Nollmann (sinsterat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 10:18:31 PST

    Sprach Joachim Feise <jfeiseat_private>:
    > > a) Why would Netscape Communicator 4.7 accept a cookie like this
    > > (invalid -- only two periods):
    > >
    > > .com.au TRUE    /       FALSE   1264987602      CyberTargetAnonymous
    > > NMN000CDCF833FA08963E9BDBC6CAA59301
    >

    > Because you are looking at the wrong spec.
    > RFC 2109 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt) is the followup work to the
    > Netscape cookie spec.
    > According to that RFC, this cookie is valid.

    Umm.  I've been working on a web site that involves cookies for about
    half a year now.  Originally we coded our cookies to the rfc2109 spec,
    and discovered that (apparently) there are no existing browsers which
    support them.  Specifically, the Max-Age field was the tripping stone
    (rfc2109 disallows the use of the Expires field, and replaces it with
    a Max-Age field, see section 4.2.2 -- yes, we use HTTP/1.1
    throughout).  We tried all versions of Internet Explorer on the PC and
    Macintosh, all versions of Netscape from 4.08 through 4.7 (and a beta
    5.0) on Win95 and Linux, one of the AOL browsers (I have no clue which
    version), and Opera 3.60.0.286 on Win95.  It doesn't help that every
    browser we tested which claims (in the protocol) to use HTTP/1.1
    violates the spec in one or more ways.  We have yet to find a browser
    that supports rfc2109 cookies.

    If I had to guess at the original problem mentioned in this thread,
    I'd say that .com.au actually does have 3 dots in it.  The real domain
    is .com.au. (notice the trailing dot).  All FQDNs end in a trailing
    dot.  However, that clearly violates the intent behind the
    restriction.  On the other hand, bugs in the domain verification of
    cookies are dirt common, so this could be allowed because it's a bug.

    --
    Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn                      sinsterat_private
    Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.