Re: Statistical Attack Against Virtual Banks

From: Andre L. Dos Santos (andreat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 23:38:05 PST

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, HC Security wrote:

    > > >(...) Therefore, it is a wide spread
    > > >practice to use 4 or 6 digit PINs. Because of the small length of the PINs
    > > >an attacker can target a particular account and try all possibilities. In
    > > >order to defend against this class of attacks, banks usually lock out
    > > >accounts after a certain number of unsuccessful identification attempts.
    >
    > I don't know what is the case in California, but I don't think I can
    > emphasise heavily enough how immensely stupid it is to rely _solely_ on a 4
    > (or 6) digit PIN  for full access to the bank account. How come, when there
    > are so many other easy-to-implement solutions which are way better when it
    > comes to security? To use the same code day after day on the same
    > website...... that statistical attack is perhaps not the worst, what if
    > someone snooped your traffic or logged on to your win98 computer and simply
    > retrieved your PIN?

      How are you going to snoop a PIN code that is not stored localy and
    is transmitted using SSL or a java applet using encryption? Anyway, if I
    have access to a win98 computer I can do many nasty things...

    > Here in Norway I don't know of _any_ "virtual bank" which doesn't _at
    > least_ use one-time passwords, or so-called digipasses (the user types his
    > PIN on an small, personal calculator-type device which returns a 6 digit
    > code to use for authentication in the virtual bank - this code expires
    > after 15 min or so).

      I don't see why this is better than a PIN, unless it is a separated
    device (with the overhead of the user having to carry this token). In
    addition, if I know how the device generates the code from the PIN, this
    only represents an extra step in the attack.

    > > >Some banks use alphanumeric characters for authentication. An attacker can
    > > >use dictionary words, instead of numbers, in this case to attack these
    > > >banks.
    >
    > Mensch!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,