Re: Random Sequence Numbers

From: Peter Jeremy (peter.jeremyat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 14:06:08 PST

    On 2000-Feb-09 20:27:08 +1100, Omachonu Ogali <oogaliat_private> wrote:
    >I don't know if anyone else attempted, but I whipped up a little patch for
    >FreeBSD that randomizes the sequence/acknowledgment numbers sent by TCP
    >instead of incrementing it by one each time. Apply using 'patch'.

    Note that the patch is using libkern/random().  This function is a
    simple, multiplicative PNRG with 32-bits of state (all of which is
    `leaked' via its return value.  Whilst the change might be better than
    a simple increment/decrement, I don't believe it provides any real
    security (especially in view of the %=2 operations).

    Peter