Re: crash windows boxes on your local network (twinge.c)

From: Elias Levy (aleph1at_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 14:02:27 PST

    This is a summary of the responses to this message. Please, check reporting
    whether an exploit works for you remember to include the OS and application
    version numbers, what patches you have applied, and under what conditions
    you tested.

    vectroat_private:

    Windows 98 - BSOD, TCP stack not working

    merlinat_private:

    Source: RedHat 6.1
    Target: NT4 SP6a
    Packets went through a Cisco ethernet switch.
    Did not do anything.

    heriat_private:

    Did not work.

    "Torgeir Hansen" <torgeirat_private>:

    Locks up Win98se box (PII-350, 128Mb ram) on a lan.
    It does NOT affect NT4.0 Server with sp5 on lan.
    Windows 200 does not die (tested via modem and lan).

    Gene Black <gblackat_private>:

    Hmmm. This didn't do a thing to my Windows 95 (B) box (local or remote
    testing), but it trashed my Cisco 760 series ISDN router. I was running
    the code below off of a remote box (so the trash was coming in the WAN
    side) and the router was hit so hard that the ethernet side wasn't even
    pingable. Everything trying to route through it started producing
    various strange routing errors (like host unreachable when trying to
    traceroute beyond it). Occasionally a few packets would make it through,
    but this was fairly rare. I'm assuming that what happened here is the
    CPU on the router was overloaded. I wouldn't have expected this though,
    because the setup for the router is fairly simple. No filters, no
    routing protocols (all static), no nothing...

    Clifford Hammerschmidt <cliffat_private>:

    Windows 2000: Net access of any kind causes GPF's.
    Windows 98: Blue screen as soon as you try running anything.

    Frank v Waveren <fvwat_private>

    Does nothing to a p166 with 16mb ram running win95 over a 10mbit.

    --
    Elias Levy
    SecurityFocus.com