Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: John Payne (johnat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 10:33:09 PST

    On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 07:50:17PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
    > You know if anyone was of a mind to find someone at fault over this,
    > I'd start pointing the finger at ISP's who haven't been doing this
    > due to "performance reasons".  They've had the ability to do it for
    > years and in doing so would seriously reduce the number and possibility
    > of "spoofing" attacks.

    Thats always made me wonder... the global tier 1 that I have intimate
    knowledge has been doing ingress filtering for years (day one as far
    as I can see) for leased line customers, and the dial devices do their own
    source filtering.

    Even on the remaining 4700 access routers CPU hasn't been a problem

    --
    John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    johnat_private
    http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954